This applies not only to naming your business, but also to naming signature products, podcasts, etc., and it’s something that every entrepreneur needs to understand to avoid expensive disputes down the line. In this episode, you’ll learn the common areas of concern where trademark law can come up, how to make sure the name you want to use (or are already using) isn’t covered by someone else’s trademark, and the crucial steps you need to take in order to protect yourself and your business.
Listen to the Full Episode:
What You’ll Learn In Today’s Episode:
- The big step most entrepreneurs miss when naming their businesses.
- What you need to do in the beginning to avoid trademark problems down the road.
- Three places to run a trademark search for the name you want to use.
- How to protect your name once you’ve chosen it.
- Two ways to get trademark rights.
- The advantages of registering a trademark.
- Why you definitely want to hire a lawyer to help you file a trademark application.
- The pros and cons of common law trademark rights.
- Common areas of concern where trademark law can come up.
- The difference between a trademark and a domain name.
- Bobby’s caution to everyone in the online entrepreneur space.
Ideas Worth Sharing:I’m a big proponent of do-it-yourself on a lot of things, but I would not even try to file a trademark application myself—and I’m an IP lawyer. - @bobbyklinck Click To Tweet As a small online entrepreneur, or an entrepreneur who’s starting out, or even an entrepreneur who’s at pace making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year, you can’t afford a trademark dispute.” - @bobbyklinck Click To Tweet Most times, as good as your name is—as awesome as that name you picked is—you could probably come up with another one that’s just as good. - @bobbyklinck Click To Tweet
Resources In Today’s Episode:
- Bobby Klinck: LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook
- Legal Made Simple
- 4 Legal Mistakes That Can Doom Your Business And How To Avoid Them